Injured in a road accident? The state can help

Siya Khan was injured in an interstate solo road trip but government insurance made recovery easier.

Reading Time: 3 minutes


After her much-anticipated New Year’s plans were scrapped due to COVID restrictions, Siya Khan* decided she would not despair; instead, she would leave on an impromptu solo road trip without a set destination. The Victorian resident left Melbourne just a few days before the new year. She found herself traversing borders into regional South Australia where she, unfortunately, was injured in a road accident.

While turning on a dirt road, Siya lost control of her car, went off the path, and hit a tree. She was alone and stranded somewhere in the middle of the York peninsula on the way to one of the Ports.

“‘Did I hit anyone?’ that was my first thought. I was also worried about paying fines for crashing into trees. I was even more devastated that I wouldn’t have a car anymore. But most importantly, I thought myself lucky to have escaped with only some injuries,” she said.

Siya, while an adventurous woman by nature, had no idea what to do next. Luckily, a motorcyclist riding by on the same route stopped to help her out.

Soon after, she was admitted to a hospital in Adelaide where she made calls to her parents in India, her roommates, co-workers, and friends.

It was on one of those calls that a friend advised her to look up TAC (Transport Accident Commission) and enquire about her eligibility for support.

After a quick phone call, Siya discovered that the Victorian government-run accident commission covered all treatments for personal injuries and even compensated you for any losses you might have faced due to injury to self (reimbursements for medical treatments, compensation for damaged glasses/dentures, income support, etc).

READ ALSO: Indian international student saves 9 Australian lives with organ donation

Source: CanvaPro

Bear in mind that the government does not pay for damages done to vehicles or other fines drivers might have incurred at the time of an accident, the state only covers expenses related to personal injury.

“I paid fines for the trees that were uprooted in the accident as well as the car insurance excess when I made a claim for my car but paid nothing for my health expenses,” Siya explained.

Regardless of one’s residential status, if the vehicle involved in the accident is a state-registered one, anyone can claim support and compensation for personal injury incurred by the accident.

“It was comforting to know TAC existed and I wouldn’t have to pay out of my pocket and claim back as not a lot of places in this region accept my private insurance for direct billing.

“I will be reimbursed for GP costs and a chest X-ray that I had to do at the hospital. Additionally, if the GP suggests acupuncture and physiotherapy as the medical treatment for my whiplash injury, TAC will pay for that as well, but my private insurance doesn’t cover it,” Siya sighed a sigh of relief.

Moreover, anyone in any state in Australia can contact their respective government-run organisations to claim compensation for personal injuries sustained because of a road/motor accident.

Even if accidents take place in a state different from the state a car is registered in, personal injury claims are possible.

For more information about personal injury claims, the relevant organisations for each state are as follows:

Victoria (VIC)– Transport Accident Commission

New South Wales (NSW) – State Insurance Regulatory Authority

Queensland (QLD) – Motor Accident Insurance Commission

South Australia (SA) – CTP Insurance Regulator

Western Australia (WA) – Insurance Commission of Western Australia

Australian Capital Territory (ACT) – Motor Accidents Injuries Commission

Northern Territory (NT) – Motor Accidents Compensation Scheme

Tasmania (TAS) – Motor Accidents Insurance Board

Drive safe.

READ ALSO: Karma in real life: Motorbike accident survivor to honour Red Cross donors

*not her real name

Bageshri Savyasachi
Bageshri Savyasachi
Truth-telling, tree-hugging journalist.

What's On