Reading Time: 2 minutesAs we enter the festival of Ganesh Chaturthi, we provide an easy and delicious recipe for undrallu to eat at your celebrations
This is a major festival in south Indian states like Andhra, Karnataka, Tamilnadu and also in Maharashtra.
1/2 cup Rice rava* – recipe given below
1 1/2 cups Water
1 tbsp Chana dal
1 tsp Ghee
1/4 tsp Salt
- Soak chana dal in water for 30mins. Drain and keep aside.
- Heat ghee in a thick shallow vessel and add drained chana dal and fry for a minute
- Add measured water(1 1/2 cups) and let it come to a boil
- Add salt and rice rava and mix well until no lumps are formed.Cover it and cook on low flame for 4-5 mins until the rava is cooked and the mixture is dry with out any water. Switch off the flame.
- Leave it aside to cool down a bit for 10 mins.
- Dip your hands in water and make lemon sized balls out of it and place them in a greased steamer.
- Arrange them in a steamer leaving some gap in between them as they will bulge after steaming.Steam them for 12-15 mins.
- Serve them hot with Coconut chutney or any payasam like Chana dal payasam or Moong dal payasam.
*To prepare rice rava: Clean and Soak the rice for some time and drain it completely and spread over a cloth so that it will drain off excess water and leave it for an hour. Grind it to a coarse rava in whipper mode and then sieve it. Use the rava which is in sieve and the flour that it is sieved can be used for dosas or regular rice flour.
- Rice rava can also be prepared directly by grinding it in the mixer in whipper mode and sieve it.