If you are a fan of authentic Sri Lankan dishes, here are a few quick and easy to make recipes to try at home, shared by top chefs.
SRI LANKAN CURRY – CHICKEN
- 300 grams boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon tamarind juice
- ¼ cup Madras curry powder
- 1 tablespoon salt, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 4 nos green chilli, halved lengthwise
- 8 nos green cardamom pods
- 6 nos whole cloves
- 12 nos curry leaves
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger
- 2 inch cinnamon stick, broken in half
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 ½ tablespoons tomato paste
- ½ Cup coconut milk
Step 1: Cut the chicken into bite-sized pieces. Combine the vinegar, tamarind juice, 1/4 cup curry powder, salt, and pepper in a bowl. Add chicken and toss to coat.
Step 2: Heat the coconut oil in a wok or frying pan over medium heat. Cook the sliced onion, green chiles, cardamom pods, cloves, curry leaves, ginger, and cinnamon stick until the onion has softened and turned translucent, about 5 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low, and continue cooking and stirring until the onion is very tender and dark brown, 15 to 20 minutes more. Stir in the garlic and cook for an additional minute.
Step 3: Add the chicken mixture, water, and tomato paste. Stir and simmer until the chicken is cooked through, about 10 minutes. Add the roasted curry powder and stir until evenly dispersed.
Step 4: Gradually stir in the coconut milk and simmer for 2-3 more minutes. (Do not overheat or the coconut milk may curdle.
RAW PAPAYA SALAD
- 1 1/2 cup Raw papaya, cut in juliennes
- 1/2 cup Carrot, cut in juliennes
- 1/2 cup Bean sprouts
- 5 – 6 French beans, Cut into small pieces
- 1/4 cup Roasted peanuts
- 2 tbsp Coriander, Chopped
For the dressing
- 2 tbsp Vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp Lemon juice
- 2 tsp Soy sauce
- 2 tsp Honey
- 1/2 tsp Garlic, Grated
- 1 Red chilli, Chopped
- Salt to taste
Mix raw papaya, carrot, bean sprouts and French beans in a bowl.
In another bowl, mix the ingredients for the dressing.
Pour the dressing over the salad and mix well.
Transfer the salad in a serving bowl.
Sprinkle the roasted peanuts and coriander on top.